Wednesday 9 January 2013

Tropical trials and tribulations

In the rush to prepare for my month-long escape to the Western world, I forgot to share this little tidbit of tropical life:

I was reluctantly getting ready for work one morning when I heard (a rather high-pitched) scream from the living room.  I sighed and assumed that Ian had spotted an itsy-bitsy spider and was flipping out.

I stuck my head into the front room just to make sure all was well and I spotted Ian, paralysed at the dining table with a look of both fear and disgust on his face. Almost unable to speak, he choked out the words, 'dead, lizard, cereal.'  Sure enough, there was a rather large, dead, shrivelled gecko mixed in with his half-eaten cereal.

The mottled brown colour and bumpy texture of the dead lizard bore an uncanny resemblance to Ian's muesli.  Traumatised, Ian backed away from the table and insisted that I dispose of his breakfast immediately.  I did.

We've grown accustomed to sharing our living space with these tiny creatures (although they've largely disappeared since we acquired the cat) but this was a first.  I don't know if Ian is back on cereal yet, but I will certainly be sifting through all our edible dry goods before eating in the future!

No comments:

Post a Comment