Tuesday 6 May 2014

Brace yourselves, winter is coming!

As someone who has lived through 22 Illinois winters, I really didn't think I'd even hardly notice what passes for winter in Sydney.  I was wrong and this is why:

  • 3.5 years in the tropics completely ruined me.
  • There is no indoor heating in Sydney (for real).
  • It's May! So to my 'northcentric' mind things should really just be warming up. I cannot process that it is actually November here.
  • In Malaysia we were only about 200 miles from the equator and sunrise/sunset never really shifted by more than about 30 minute, it's completely dark at 5:30 here and that is confusing.

Now admittedly, there will be no snow, no freezing temperatures, probably not even a frost. But let me put it this way, 50F/10C is a long, hard fall when you've lived in near constant 90F/32C conditions and you are completely unprepared for the change. Even Catface is struggling, and she is completely covered in fur. She is spending her days camped out directly in front of  the fan heater.

My mom rescued me last month by bringing over all my sweaters that have been in storage in Chicago these last few years, so that was a help - but then I got caught out on shoes. In Malaysia, aside from a mandatory pair of black heels and hiking boots I owned only a pile of sandals and flip flops. I can hardly wear my hiking boots daily, I need some shoes. Like real shoes that cover your feet and require socks. Speaking of which, I also need some socks.

You may think I sound like a total sissy (and I kind of do), but by Sydney standards I'm still one of the tough ones. People here are already walking around in puffer jackets and wool coats. I can't imagine what it is going to look like in July, Gore-tex gloves and balaclavas?

So my northern friends, you may be feeling smug now, but just wait until it's January and we'll be drinking white wine in the sun while you trudge through the snow.

No comments:

Post a Comment