Thursday 20 January 2011

Baptism of Fire

I've been quite neglectful of this blog recently, but have mercy, it's been a bit of a baptism of fire at work this week.  Still finding my feet in the new job - but no major disasters (yet) and things are happening; albeit far slower than I would like.  Most things in Malaysia happen slower than I would like.

Anyway, let's not talk about work, it's a public holiday today (god only knows what for, we have about one a week, but I think this is a Hindu one). 

Work aside we've still been keeping busy and at the risk of sounding like home store advert, this place is actually starting to look and feel like a home.  My employment has greatly loosened the purse-strings around here and not only are we awaiting the arrival of bed, sofa and coffee table - but we've acquired some fun stuff too!

 

Ian decided he couldn't live another moment without a proper television - so for a mere £300/$490/RM1500 we acquired a brand new Samsung 32 inch flat screen and Philips Blue-Ray player.  I'm not going to lie, I love it too, but Ian clearly loves his new toys more than me.




Ian also couldn't resist the temptation to buy garden lights made out of actual coconuts.  'Totally tropical' in his words.

I nearly had my first 'I hate Asia' meltdown this afternoon after we spent 30 minutes circling a parking garage in which there were CLEARLY no spaces no left but they kept letting people in anyway.  There were literally at least 100 cars tearing around the place battling for the very, very few spaces that were actually being vacated.  Ultimately, we abandoned the car against a wall where it seemed fairly unlikely it would get hit.  We returned 2+ hours later (after a delicious Indonesian lunch and battling the crowds at Ikea), no ticket, no clamping, no damage.  Phew.

3 comments: