Sunday 16 January 2011

Happy New Year, round 2

It's been a busy first week back.  Getting past the jet lag, undoing Ian's little messes and getting my act together to face my first full week of work in the office.  As for work, I'm nervous, scared but mostly really excited to get back into a proper routine and engage my brain on a regular basis.  Housewifery is just not for me.  Paychecks will be pretty cool too.


Yesterday we spent shopping and successfully acquired a sprinkling of new things that will go a long way towards filling this empty shell of a condo.  We found and ordered a fancy new coffee table (teak of course), downside being that we have to wait a month for it.  We've also reached a compromise on a bed (alleluia!), found a sofa, picked up a few more kitchen utensils and finally got some smoke detectors!  Hoping for a less hectic (and less expensive) day today.  Hopefully the somewhat elusive sun will pop out for a few hours allowing me a few hours poolside to retrieve my tan that abandoned me in the States. 

The weather has felt distinctly cooler since I've returned - which here means the low 80s.  It has also been England-grey and a bit on the rainy side.  The mosquitoes have been persistent as ever.  I counted 24 bites yesterday, I'm sure the number is higher today.  Citronella and all other supposed natural deterrents are an absolute myth - I'm coming round to the idea that I may just have to walk around in a cloud of DEET 24/7.

Malaysia is rapidly gearing up for Chinese New Year (Feb. 3), the year of the rabbit.  Red lanterns abound and little Chinese markets selling all sorts of plants and trinkets, presumably our equivalents of poinsettias and Christmas ornaments, have sprung up all over the place.  Best of all, Chinese New Year seems to mean that beer goes on sale - $30 for a 26 can 'prosperity pack' of Tiger. 

1 comment:

  1. Two things, I've heard garlic is effective at repelling the little bastards. And can you order booze through Amazon ( just thinking outside the box?

    Make that three things Da Bears Bears play the Packers next Sunday for the right to go to the Super Bowl (just thought you should know).

    ReplyDelete