Tuesday 9 November 2010

We made it!

We commenced our journey from Heathrow about 36 hours ago on one of these



I've flown on plenty of big planes in my day, but this was my first experience with A380 superjumbo jet.  It has a capacity of 555 and being seated in the last (88th) row it took well over half an hour to get off (even with 2 exits).  In general, I am of the opinion the bigger the better when it comes to aircraft but Quantas has grounded its entire fleet of A380s at the moment after an engine failure and emergency landing in Singapore the other day . . . so between that and the time it takes to disembark, I was pretty happy to go back to a trusty Boeing 777 for the Dubai - KL leg of the journey.

Otherwise it was an uneventful journey.  We arrived under cloudy but dry skies and it was a blamy 82 degrees.  We were greeted by Flora, the nanny and all-round PA for Ian's boss.  She makes a mean Singapore Sling.

Peter took us for dim sum and beer in Chinatown and we returned full of delicious food and happily exhausted.  Getting ready for some proper exploration of KL later today.  Peter and Rika are off to Thailand for holiday on Thursday and leaving us with their flat, car and even Flora to give us a hand and cook and keep us well-watered with a steady supply of cocktails.  I think I can just about get used to this.

1 comment: